Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fear and Loathing.

There is a line in Hunger Games (the movie) where Peeta says, "If I am going to die, I still want to be me." Or something like that. He is talking about how the games may change him, how he may have to kill people, etc. The quote occurs very early in the movie and it had me crying through the rest of it. Cancer is my own "hunger game." I am fighting so hard, and cancer will change you. It changes you physically. It changes you emotionally. I have lost myself in this fight.

For one, my body ain't mine anymore. Whose "boobs" are these? I have no freaking hair. I told my friend the other day that I was going to ask my doc about all these damn freckles. I am sure chemo is causing a massive freckle outbreak. My friend laughed her butt off. She tells me I have always had freckles. I have?

I have headaches all the time. I am sure the chemo is wreaking havoc on my brain. I can't think of words. My sentences get stuck in my throat. Where was I going with that thought? I tackled my college's math problem of the week a few days again and got stumped. What if this medicine is making me stupid? Who am I without my mind? I feel like I am living "Flowers of Algernon." Remember that book? Does the fact that I remember it make me less stupid? I think it does and am temporarily relieved.

I am tired. So tired. You aren't a good warrior when you are tired. The "me" I want to be isn't lazy. (I am sure like the freckles though that I have always had a little lazy in me.) I can't have this cancer situation turn me into someone else. I guess the truth is I never really thought about "me" before this. I am not talking about Anna the teacher or Anna the mom or Anna from eastern North Carolina...just plain old me. Who is Anna? She isn't her boobs. (I once was! I had a good run with that rack.) I am more than a thinker, more than a feeler.

I remember in a college ancient philosophy class, my professor talked about the concept of a university. What made a university? Was it a group of buildings? We all agreed that it wasn't just a group of buildings. My professor looked right at me in that class and asked me what made me Anna. When I was a little baby in a crib, was that still me? Yes, I replied. Still me. I think of that scene all the time now. This body with my poor excuse for boobs and no hair is still me. This body will change many times before it ends. My mind will go through its own transformations. Still me.

Also recently, I watched another movie- "Rum Diaries" which besides giving me Johnny Depp eye candy, gave me more to contemplate. Mainly, I've been thinking about Hunter S. Thompson. What a weird dude...weird when he was sober, weird when he wasn't. Yet this guy had some essence that certainly made him Hunter S. Thompson. So do I. So do you. I can't help but like crazy old Hunter S. Thompson.

Here is Hunter S. Thompson's suicide note (and don't worry, I am NOT in danger of that. Please.)

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun -- for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax -- This won't hurt."

I feel the weird guy's pain. My changes are no fun and boring, too, but I, unlike crazy man, I got hope. I am not out of rum, and if this blog post seems looney-tune and incoherent to you...well, blame it on the chemo.


3 comments:

  1. Anna, I miss you! I keep wanting to say more than, "don't worry about those tests, I'll file them." What I mean to say is, "We miss you and is there ANYTHING I can do?" I'll try harder to convey that ;)

    If it makes you feel any better, your e-mails still sounds very Anna-ish. And while you don't feel strong, reading your blog made me realize how strong I really know you are. ::hugs::

    p.s. JD asked what I was doing, and when I told him I was sending a message to a friend to tell her I hoped she felt better, he wanted me to tell you he wanted you to feel better too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brain seems to be working beautifully, dearie. You are a marvel. What a perfect piece of writing. And an awful set of circumstances. Thank you for taking the time and effort to put your words down for your fan club. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you, and you don't know me. That being said, I'm not sure how 'Anna'ish this whole post was. But I can tell you one thing, you sound perfectly sane and coherent to me. Just human...and what more can you hope for than that? Thank you for sharing all of the you-ness. Love and light heading your way from Brogie McDoogerson.

    ReplyDelete