Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Not so pretty in pink.

First of all, don't let my blog title offend you. I am super grateful for the Susan G. Komen Foundation and all the research funded by them. Those pink ribbons raise awareness, provide support, and bring in a lot of research dollars. Thank God for that. When I say "I hate pink ribbons", I mean just that...literally. I hate the color pink. In fact, if you look in my closet, you won't find one pink item (unless you count the few pink t-shirts I obtained from breast cancer awareness walks- ironic, I know.) Moreover, I am not a huge fan of ribbons. I am the type of low-maintenance person that wraps gifts in comic paper and doesn't even put bows on them.

It isn't just that. I learned I had breast cancer in the beginning of December. I was totally shocked. I didn't feel sick. I didn't look sick. It was freaking Christmas, people. Considering this, I did what any number of normal people would do, I pretended it just wasn't so. Pretty easy to do actually. I went to holiday parties and taught my classes. I smiled a lot and fussed at my kids about their dirty socks on the floor. It would have been even easier if those damn pink ribbons weren't everywhere. Now, everywhere I look I see them- a big pink slap in the face that I do indeed have breast cancer. While I reserve the right to temporarily return to the land of denial every now and again, I am ready to face the music.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to know this, Anna, but we will walk this journey with you and pray for you and your family the entire way. You won't be alone and I do hope you will be a winner on the other end of this! You're young and strong; two really good positives to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, whether you feel like hanging out in the land of denial or you are feeling overwhelmed dealing with reality, remember you aren't alone and let us know whatever we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, for the record, I hate pink too, unless you count Pink Cadillac Margaritas and that is a whole other story!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, The Anna I know will kick butt and dare anything in life to slow her down. And you are right, I have never seen you in pink but there are plenty of colors to be pretty in and you light up many of them so the heck with pink! I wish you the best in the coming months and know we will see you soon at school striking terror in the eyes of math students...ok, I made that part up, LOL. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete